American Industrial Hygiene Association
(Last Updated: September 11, 2017 )
To have a position posted on our site, please send the information, unformatted (text or MS Word; no PDF files, please),
to email@example.com. Please be sure to include all contact info for how applicants can respond to the posting.
Click here for employment-related web links!
NOTE: Positions posted on this page will be deleted after thirty (30) days.
HSE Consultant (Philadelphia or Mid-Atlantic Region): ESIS Health Safety & Environmental Services
Working under direct or indirect supervision or within a consulting team arrangement, a
Technician is responsible for the following core responsibilities:
• When on-site, act as direct representative of ESIS HSE in relationship to the client; and when within scope of services, monitor and oversee clients’ contractors.
• Evaluate contractor performance and advise the client.
• Under direct supervision of Project Managers or professional staff, interface with and respond to regulatory and enforcement agencies at the project site, and when appropriate, provide requested information to them depending upon issue involved.
• Maintain chain of custody of sampling activity, analytical data and project recordkeeping (log book) in accordance with regulatory requirements and ESIS HSE’s recordkeeping responsibilities.
• Maintain proficiency and understanding in the use of scientific instruments and sampling protocols to ensure valid sample collection and reliable data analysis in compliance with regulations.
• Maintain high ethical standards in the performance of service, understand the ethical standards of client and report actual or perceived unethical conduct or behavior.
• Under direct oversight of a Project Manager or professional staff, generally understand the details of the project schedule and scope of work, and provide supporting information to Project Managers when change orders may be required.
• Maintain required certifications mandated by the regulations and take an active role in maintaining respiratory fitness through ESIS HSE medical surveillance program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties or tasks of the Technician include the following:
• Assist in the development of and implementation of project work plans for tasks which involve area of experience or expertise.
• Performance of sampling programs involving collection of soil, water, asbestos, air emissions, indoor air or waste samples.
• Operation of standard environmental monitoring instruments.
• Accurate recording of field data, observations and analytical results.
• Manage direct affiliate subcontractors on-site work activities, or oversees client’s retained contractor during environmental remediation activities.
• Make decisions regarding minor changes to the work plan where such changes are required to accomplish the task.
• Report preparation tasks:
◦ Preparing drafts or figures, plates and tables.
◦ Preparing project logs and descriptions of field activities.
◦ Preparing sample data inventory tables in ESIS HSE approved report format.
◦ Routine scientific or technical calculations.
• Field assistance in the following areas:
◦ Sampling of soil, water, wastes, asbestos and other materials.
◦ Air emissions and indoor air quality sampling.
◦ Driving and extracting soil gas probes.
◦ Operation of monitoring instruments.
◦ Water level measurements.
◦ Data collection and recording of notes on field activities.
◦ Records and historical documentation review.
• Perform compliance inspections and environmental monitoring of asbestos or other regulated/potentially hazardous materials removal and abatement projects, including:
◦ Use of environmental sampling instrumentation and equipment.
◦ Collection and analysis of personal and area air samples.
◦ Completion of inspection and analytical data forms.
◦ Inspection of regulated work areas, equipment, work methods, and compliance with project specifications or industry accepted best practices.
◦ Oversee waste container removal and completion of landfill documentation forms.
◦ Completion of project log books.
◦ Preparation of the Compliance Monitoring Report following completion of remediation activities.
• Assist with the conduct of regulated and hazardous material surveys, including:
◦ Identification of suspect materials and collection of bulk samples when included in the project scope.
◦ Measurements of quantities and dimensions.
◦ Completion of site inspection and dimensions.
◦ Handling and proper recording of material samples.
◦ Interpretation of analytical results.
◦ Preparation of draft report product for Project Manager Quality Review.
• Other project duties as assigned by Project Manager or Manager.
• Two years of college completed is required. Four years of work experience may substitute for two years of college.
• Appropriate technical certificates recognizing specific training of expertise in a discipline related to ESIS HSE’s core services (asbestos and lead certifications for inspection and project monitoring)
• Four years of college with a degree in an environmental or science field is preferred.
• One year of work experience in a technical or scientific capacity, or equivalent experience in the environmental consulting field.
DESIRED SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS:
• Must be able to carry out sampling and data management tasks accurately and in accordance with standard procedures.
• Must be able to learn and apply regulatory requirements in routine sampling tasks.
• Must learn to operate and maintain standard monitoring instruments.
• Must be able to work safely at all times.
• Must be well organized with the ability to meet schedule commitments.
• Must be able to make accurate field decisions to assure project integrity and cost-effectiveness.
• Must be able to manage subcontractor tasks to assure successful project completion.
• Must be capable of obtaining Health & Safety certification for hazardous waste (pursuant to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120) / asbestos (pursuant to OSHA 29 CFR 1926.1101).
• Must be able to perform strenuous physical activities.
• Some travel is required
Chubb offers a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits package including life, health and dental, vision, a generous retirement savings plan, disability coverage, stock purchase plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, and business casual dress. At Chubb, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran or marital status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
Travel Yes, 25 % of the Time
Chubb is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need an accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an email to to let us know the nature of your request. For more information, please click for the “EEO is the Law” poster and for the “Pay Transparency” policy. For information on Philadelphia’s “Ban the Box” law please click . At Chubb, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran or marital status, or any other characteristic protected by firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted 11 September 2017
Environmental Health and Safety Specialist (Job ID: 67919): Penn Medicine (Philadelphia, PA)
Position Description: The primary responsibility for this position will include respiratory fit testing (approximately 90%) to assure compliance with 29CFR 1910.134. This work activity will require weekend and off-shift time commitments. This position may also be assigned a variety of other safety related duties that will assist the Emergency Management and Safety Department (EMSD) in maintaining a safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. These additional responsibilities may include recognition, evaluation, monitoring and control of facility, operational and environmental safety factors occurring in a major health system with multiple buildings and functions for patient care, medical education and research.
The position will plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate and direct assigned portions of the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) safety programs and related activities. These related activities can include fire and life safety; hazardous materials and chemical safety; emergency preparedness; ergonomics and injury prevention; construction safety and ILSM, and training staff to respond appropriately to ensure a safe environment. The position will assist overseeing accident & injury prevention programs, hazard surveillance surveys at hospital and off-site locations, emergency preparedness activities, and construction safety and ILSM (Interim Life Safety Measures).
The EHS Specialist will also be responsible for support and enforcement of regulatory requirements for healthcare from the Joint Commission, the PA Department of Health, OSHA and local codes and ordinances.
In addition, the EHS Specialist will also provide education and hands-on training to staff. The position will examine and reinforce the use of work practice controls as well as personal protective equipment to minimize the risk of injury.
• Bachelor's Degree required in a Safety (public or environmental), fire prevention, emergency management, environmental science, business, health administration or health-related discipline.
• One year of experience through internship program preferred.
Skills and Abilities
• Demonstrated project management skills.
• Demonstrated written communication skills.
• Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills.
• Understanding of health care operations.
• Understanding of regulatory guidelines.
• Knowledge of Fire and Safety standards.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
To apply for this position, or for more information, please visit www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Posted 13 August 2017
Employment/Job Hunting Web Sites
(please report any incorrect or "broken" links to the Webmaster)
AIHA CareerAdvantage (AIHA members only)
ASSE Career Center (ASSE members only)
Go To Top Of Page
Comments/Questions? Email: email@example.com
Copyright © 2017 Philadelphia Section AIHA